Pence: U.S. Won't Budge to Avoid Cold War With China

Share

But soon after the report, the office of the US Trade Representative denied the reporting, saying that "Ambassador Lighthizer has made no representations to industry executives that future Section 301 tariffs are on hold".

Trade tensions have escalated between Beijing and Washington this year as Trump has slapped $250 billion of Chinese products with new tariffs.

"Then so be it", Pence said. China has responded with import tariffs on goods from the US.

The U.S. tariff rate on $200-billion in Chinese goods is set to increase to 25 per cent from 10 per cent on January 1.

Zverev beats Cilic in error-strewn London battle
The world number one, aiming for a sixth ATP Finals title to pull level with Federer, plays Cilic on Friday while Zverev takes on Isner.

Trump told reporters Friday that the Chinese response was largely complete but was missing four or five big things.

People briefed on the list presented by the Chinese side this week also said that it was largely a rehash of prior commitments made by Xi and did not address US demands for significant reforms to Chinese industrial policy.

A top economist warns Trump's China trade war is doing more damage to the United States economy than people think. In September, Trump added tariffs to another $200 billion of imports, to which Beijing retaliated by adding levies to a further $60 billion of US goods. "If there is a deal to be had with China it's a deal that has to be in America's interests...."

President Donald Trump could also change his mind at any time about Navarro's role. "He was freelancing and he's not representing the president or the administration".

Family Photo! The Royals Pose for Prince Charles’ 70th Birthday
Raising a glass, the Queen said: "It is a privilege for any mother to be able to propose a toast to her son on his 70th birthday". Prince Charles' 34-year-old son, Prince Harry is also in the photo, with his new wife, 37-year-old Meghan Markle .

Woodward told Radio Sputnik's Loud & Clear on Wednesday that Pence's latest remarks hinting at a cold war between Beijing and Washington are a continuation of a stream of rhetoric previously voiced by the vice president.

Gao gave no details of the talks or of which officials were conducting them.

When asked by a reporter from Voice of America about Taiwan, Pence repeated earlier statements that Taiwan's embrace of democracy provides a better path for all Chinese people to follow, while emphasizing that the USA would stand by its obligations to the island country, without specifically mentioning any particular agreement or treaty, reports Liberty Times. One source briefed on the offer said it was just a "rehash" of previous offers China had made. But Beijing's offer didn't address White House concerns over the way Chinese authorities force foreign companies to transfer technology. "Impossible", he said, according to Bloomberg.

"We have another $267bn [in tariffs ready] to go, if we want to", he said. "They know what the president's position is", he said, adding that he believed they "got the message".

Macron warns rising risk of nationalism to world peace
The Paris weather - grey and damp - seemed aptly fitting when remembering a war fought in mud and relentless horror. He arrived separately for security reasons, and his motorcade was briefly detained by protesters.

Share